Monday, February 23, 2009

Waiting

I don't say this very often, or confide in too many people about this, so mark this momentous occasion. It probably won't happen again.

I admit it. I have the itch. I'm so ready to get married. It's just a matter of waiting on Maverick to ask what I'm doing for the rest of his life. Being the budget keeper of our relationship, I know exactly why he's waiting and I'm cool with it. However, that doesn't change the fact that every single day I think about how much I'm ready to share a lifetime of beautiful, committed, undying love with him.


Now I'm not your average girl. For me it's not about the event. I don't daydream about imported French silk and Italian lace dresses, or floor length gowns in the perfect shade of butter cream for twelve bridesmaids, or taffeta colored clothed napkins and regal place settings for a formal dinner at a reception with 250 people and all eyes on me. That's not to say there is anything wrong with that either. It's just simply not my style. The thoughts of my wedding are about me, the man I love more than anything on Earth and our future together. Loving each other so much that we want to share one life for all eternity and sharing that special moment with our immediate families, extremely close extended family members and our dearest friends.

That's it.


If you asked me where I'd want this to take place the only answer I could give you is that my dream location is any beach in the Caribbean. What kind of dress you ask? No clue. Something white in whatever style I try on that looks the best on me. What about flowers? I honestly doubt I'd even want to deal with worrying about carrying them around, and if we're getting married outside in God's beauty why would you need to dress it up? I have zero thoughts on a reception either. I'd guess that if there was a meal involved we'd just decide on some items that the house chef does well.


It's entirely possible that all of this might change when the time finally comes to seal the deal. Doubtful but possible. Nothing is ever impossible, so I won't say it's completely out of the questions, but I highly doubt either of us will care a great amount about the details.


There is one item though that I do care
about immensely. The ring! This is one thing I daydream about very frequently. I don't mean to sound materialistic, but it's the only piece of jewelry I'll have forever and wear everyday. It should be special. The only problem is that I want to be truly surprised by the proposal.

Knowing this, I've made sure that Maverick and I have talked about diamond shapes and ring design numerous times. He knows my favorite cut, my next favorite cuts, the cuts I absolutely do not like at all, the metal I prefer, the design features I prefer and the ones I would never wear. I've even made sure to point out two friends I trust who he could go to for a little guidance. I'm constantly noticing rings on my friends (or even random women we see out in public places) and making sure I point it out to him. I also drag him into stores to browse. Poor guy. He's such a trooper about it though. He always smiles though the process, and I can see him taking mental notes every time.


It really is quite sad how often I think about the ring. A couple of days out of the week I secretly shop The Interweb and sit and drool at things like this:




There it is! My dream ring! I've had it pictured in my head for so long, but never quite found the exact thing in my searches until today. I promptly sat and drooled for about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

CityChic said...

Gosh, you and I are alike in so many ways. I can totally relate to your post - I'm still scared of marriage, but if I were to take the jump I totally agree with everything you said. Even down to the ring!! I like the "vintage" round cut also.

The Wilsons said...

Love it! Looking back on our humongo wedding...a small, intimate affair isn't a bad idea. It was a crazy day..but in the end I was glad to share one of the most important days of our lives with so many people we loved. I really think I didn't get too involved in all the stupid details.

Good luck and uhhhh....keep in touch!

Unknown said...

Leo and I had a small wedding...and we loved it! It was so intimate and just perfect :)

And your dream ring? I'm drooling right along with ya, honey :)