Monday, May 18, 2009

Commitment

I exercise.

I go for brisk walks.

I use cardio machines at the gym.

I use my Wii Fit.

I kickbox.

I, however, AM NOT a runner.

Something inside me though has long had a desire to show I can conquer my fitness wall and train for, and complete, an actual race. My ultimate dream is to complete just one marathon in my lifetime. I go through phases where I contemplate beginning to train, but my "not being a runner" always scares me out of the commitment factor at the last minute.

I've been going through one of these phases recently and just so happened to receive an email about an upcoming 5K in my city.

I thought, why not start small? Train for something very, very, very small scale and see if you can stick to it? Then, see if you could commit to the training for a marathon.

I mentioned this to a friend, who pointed me toward a couch to 5K program that gets you ready in just nine weeks! She even showed me this awesome podcast I could download for my ipod that changes music at the proper intervals, telling me when to walk and when to run. (That girl is always inspiring me to do great things. ;)

I was very intrigued.

Therefore, I have taken the plunge and am attempting to train for this 5K.

I am on week two of the couch to 5K program.

Root me on and keep me going! I'll need it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go ya big wussy come on you can do it... and there is nothing scary about running sheesh!!!

CityChic said...

Commitment is the key word! You can do it. I wasn't a runner either, but in just a year I've progressed leaps and bounds. I swear it gets easier and easier. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your future posts detailing your progress!

Jim Barnthouse said...

Thanks for all the nice sent my way! I just read some of your blog here and I have to say, yeah, I see the similarities. That makes us blog buddies.
Don't worry, there are no spit handshakes when it comes to blog buddies. You pretty much just leave it at that. Oh, there aren't any benefits of it either other than occasional comments on each others blogs, but that's more than most "regular" buddies get.

Also, it's funny your newest post is about running cuz I'm all up in that fitness. A 5k is way easier than you think. That's what got me addicted to it. 90% of running is in your mind. It is soooo easy once you get past the first two miles. Proof? This time last year I couldn't run 1 mile. Saturday I'll be running 14. The best part? I get to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day. Seriously, that burns like 2300 calories. Let me know if you want someone to help train you. I've got like three people I'm training now.

Kudos to the blog! I'll be following.

Hera said...

14 miles??!?! Oh my. I feel so lazy now. Good luck on your run. And I just might be taking you up on that training stuff. ;)