Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Run Hera Run

Just had to share a quick update. Personal goals in my life are being reached and I couldn't be happier.

I'll start with a little bit about my quest to take up running. I've been on the Couch to 5K plan for awhile now. Currently, I'm on week seven of nine. The plan is designed to follow either by time or distance. I chose time, since as a beginning runner I figured the first step should be to build my body up to the sustained high impact of running. I wasn't overly concerned with the distance I ran in the allotted time, just that I did it. However, I did track my distance, so I could chart my progress and know how much I needed to improve once I hit the distance portion of the training.

So for the first few weeks I just ran or walked for whatever the program time called for. My best mile per minute time during week one was 14 minutes and 10 seconds. As of yesterday that time was down to 10 minutes and 24 seconds per mile. Down almost four minutes in just over six weeks! With a little over two weeks left to train--all running, no more walking at all--I'm beginning to have a glimmer of hope that maybe I can reach my ultimate goal of finishing the 5K in under 30 minutes. (First goal is just to finish, second goal is to finish in under 30 minutes.)

One other great note to share: A year ago when I went to the junk doctor for my annual checkup my blood pressure was very borderline high. I don't remember the exact number, but it was something like 145 over 90. My doctor was very concerned and questioned whether or not to put me on medication to regulate it. Both of my parents and my brother are all on blood pressure medication, so I was a little scared of my hereditary destiny.

I walked out of the doctor's office that day and gave up caffeine cold turkey.....from four or five Mt. Dews a day to nothing. First I went to Sprite and other caffeine free sodas. In recent months though, I've really just been drinking lots of water and Gatorade, and really only have one or two Sprite Zeros a week. I was never a person who added salt to my food, but never thought about the natural level of sodium in foods. I do now. Cut out lots of other crap, too. Took up frequent exercise--three to four times per week. All of those changes, along with the recent running venture, have certainly done the job! I went back for my annual checkup today and the blood pressure was down to 114 over 70! So stoked! No meds for me!

3 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Congrats..all your hard work is really paying off!! You look fab...you feel fab!!! Perhaps this not eating office desserts has something to it????? Nahhhhh :)

Deb said...

I'm so happy for you! It's been great catching up on your blog. I'm so excited about your 5K goal! I've been using Nike+iPod for awhile and I love it! I just walk, but I'm going to need to look into the couch to 5K dealio. Great job and keep up the good work!

Cardinal70 said...

I'm always glad to hear about people sticking to their goals and getting healthy. It almost motivates me to move away from the computer. Almost. ;)

Seriously, congrats and keep it up!