Thursday, November 03, 2005

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

Why does there always have to be drama? And how the hell do I always get dragged into the drama?

Today I had a very important meeting (at least in the eyes of those who matter) with my vice-president, director, two co-workers and about ten students who we are using as a focus group for a new registration product. So I'm sitting in this meeting, listening to the students rehash their initial thoughts, opinions and suggestions on their experience with the software. I'm busily taking notes, and brainstorming on our next step in the implementation, when my phone vibrates. I, ever so slyly, managed to pull my phone out of my laptop case and read the text message.

It was from my best friend, we'll call her Marcia, with a message that said; "Have you heard from (Doug) Simpson today? He won't answer my calls or text msgs. What the fuck?"

I sent a quick reply via the web, you know so I was still typing and taking notes. It said; "Yes. Sent a text msg about a football trade. He said okay. Can't talk now. Important meeting."

Three minutes later my phone vibrates again. This time it says; "We had a long fight/talk last night but left alright. I don't get it. He's fucking ignoring me."

This time my quick web reply said; "Sucks, but very important meeting. I'll call when it's over."

Marcia got the hint that time and left me alone to finish my meeting, at which point I performed my womanly, sisterhood duty and called her to rehash the problem. After being introduced through a mutual friend (me), Marcia and Doug have been seeing each other for a few months. Bottom line is they are not committed and have discussed that fact time and time again. They're free to see other people, just be honest. Surprisingly, this situation has worked quite well. That is, until the last few weeks.

Both Marcia and Doug are very good friends of mine and they both apparently feel the need to turn to me for advice. This relationship is imploding and I am continuing to be dragged in the middle. "Why won't he answer my calls? Who is this Cindy chick?" "I care for her, but I don't want a committment. I sort of like Cindy, but Marcia is great too." Yada, yada, yada.

As it turns out, Doug took Cindy out on a date last night. Marcia found out and inquired with too many questions, which in turn made Doug uncomfortable and pissed off. Doug's brilliant mind decided that Marcia needs time to decide if she can really handle a non-committed relationship, only he didn't make her aware of that fact! He just decided not to answer her calls, emails or text messages. (I will never, ever understand the male mind. Who in the hell does that?) Now I've got a teary Marcia calling and wanting me to tell her what to do.

I told them that I love them both, they're both my friends and I'm not their junior high mediator. So please leave me out of it, grow up, start acting like the mid 20s adults they are, decide if they have a relationship or if they're just getting some booty and to schedule their drama around my meetings. ;)

6 comments:

Oberkfell3B said...

Hooking up 2 friends never works out. Just be honest with both. If you do, you should be safe. I would't offer to hear anything from either on their relationship anymore either. That way yu can tell each that you are not keeping anything from them.

Hera said...

Believe me, I didn't hook them up. They met because they both happen to hang out with me. I just told them to stop acting like 12 year olds and talk to each other; not me. Big babies.

Deb said...

Good gawd....they both need to be smacked around.

Why don't you send them both e mails and tell them how much you enjoy blogging and that they should check it out? ;)

Oberkfell3B said...

Now that Doug has been on a date with "Macia" and "Cindy", I was wondering when he plans to hit on "Jan"?

Hera said...

Jan doesn't get noticed. She's stuck in the middle, remember?

Cardinal70 said...

There is something wrong with a guy with a Brady Bunch dating philosophy. Or is this like that Vegas commercial, where the woman introduces herself with TV characters? I love that commercial. Wait, commercials are Brew's thing. Sorry...

Anyway, hopefully the "leave me out of it" bit works, but I'd have my doubts, since you are one of the few they can talk to who knows both sides.

"Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in!"