Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Important Stuff


I don't get serious around here very often (if ever), but today is one of those times I feel it is necessary. So please bear with me.

Today, December 1, is World AIDS Day.

Sadly, my family and I know the misery of HIV/AIDS all too well. One of my favorite uncles was afflicted with the disease. He made it almost 17 years after his diagnosis. It was beyond great to have him around for that much longer, but at the same time it was very painful. The last six years of his life were in the AIDS stage, and they were spent not living, but surviving. It was hands down the worst thing I have ever witnessed. I hope that none of you ever have to watch someone you love and care for slowly wilt away, knowing there is absolutely nothing you, or anyone else, can do.

One of the most disheartening things I have noticed is the complacency our society seems to have developed to such a horrific epidemic. With that, I challenge you (almost beg of you) to educate yourself. If you are educated, then pass the information and challenge along to someone who might not be educated. If you're so inclined, please donate some time or money to an organization or two. Wear a red ribbon, get tested, simply talk about it, do something, do anything; it might make more difference than you could ever imagine.

4 comments:

Oberkfell3B said...

orpdfI am blessed to not have any personal experiences involving HIV or AIDS, but working in a hospital setting as I have for the past decade, I have seen its horrors.

Cardinal70 said...

Dealing with that must be one of the worst things in the world. Hopefully with enough education, fewer and fewer people will have to go through what you went through.

UnHoly Diver said...

I've never been touched personally by this dreaded disease, but I used to work in a hospital, like Obie, and I also saw what it could do.

Deb said...

What a horrible thing for you and your family to go through. Keep spreading the word. Education is the key to stopping this horrible disease.