Thursday, October 20, 2005

That's All She Wrote

Sadly, the end of 2005 is finally upon the Cardinals. It was a great run while it lasted, but I suppose it just wasn't meant to be their year.

A giant part of me just wants to tip my cap and say it was a great year, they accomplished so much with all the injuries and it's amazing they did as well as they did. But then there's disappointed and reflective fan in me.

I can't help but look at the recent postseasons and their failure to close the deal; especially with such talented teams. Even though they were good teams, with the circumstances and rosters of 1996, 2000, 2001 and 2002, I can somewhat stomach those loses. But the 2004 and 2005 teams were just made for a championship. I almost find it inexcusable for such a monstrous collapse. I don't care what people say, I put the majority of the blame square on Tony LaRussa.

The guy is in fact a baseball genius. He oozes knowledge about the sport. However, all that knowledge can lead him down a dangerous path at times. Ask just about any Cardinals fan, with a clue about the game, and they'll tell you LaRussa's over managing can drive them nuts. The reality is that baseball is a game; a little kids game that is supposed to fun. Some guys are just lucky enough to make a living playing this fun game. But when you have a manager who leads those guys so tight, because he's always thinking, they lose sight of the essence of the sport. A person who has the privilege to watch the Cardinals day in and day out of the regular season can see LaRussa wound tight, pacing the dugout, etc. But they can also watch as he just gets wound tighter and tighter as October nears. It doesn't take a lot to see that trickling down to his players. Yes, they need to take every game seriously, but there's a danger point where that business like attitude overflows and becomes too much pressure. I've watched LaRussa do that the last two Octobers and it's just so damn frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, LaRussa is a great manager. But is he meant to only be a great regular season manager? With over 2,200 regular season wins, 10 trips to the postseason, including four World Series appearances and only one ring, and just barely above a .500 record in postseason games, I can't help but wonder.

Another note about this year's NLCS versus the Astros; I hear a lot of griping in Cardinal Nation that the umpiring cost the Cardinals this series. I will agree there were indeed calls that were blown against the Cards, but what difference does it make if they can't hit above .200 with runners in scoring position? Folks, the umpires didn't cost the Cardinals a shot at another World Series title, the Cardinals cost themselves that shot. I think we should all layoff the umpires and the need for instant replay.

For my non-baseball obsessed readers, you will be happy to know this means the baseball talk should pretty much subside until about February. Although, I'm sure you will understand if I feel the need to post an occasional hot stove blog or countdown to Spring Training. ;)

3 comments:

Cardinal70 said...

I think it's a possibility that TLR's concentration and focus could tighten up a team, and maybe that's part of it.

But Atlanta has Bobby Cox, who seems as relaxed as TLR is focused, and they can't get out of the first round.

So I'm not sure if it matters or not. If they could have beaten Backe, this might all be moot.

BrewCards said...

I with ya Dana. I don't know what to think. It just isn't working in the postseason.

Deb said...

I've always tried to defend TLR, but he was so tight this post, and I swear that really filtered down to the players. They had fear on their faces.