Wednesday, September 21, 2005

One, Two, Three, Get Loose Now!

I just stayed home tonight. Watched the Memphis Cardinals lose to the Reds and the premiere of Jason "No, you did not read that wrong, I really did name my son Pilot Inspektor" Lee's new show My Name is Earl. Or as my mom so eloquently called it, Who the Hell is Eddie?

Bless her heart; she is forever saying stuff like that. She is not stupid, by any means; more of a combination of ditziness and gullibility. It's almost like her brain works 50,000 times faster than her mouth or her handwriting can keep up with. Like the time she made these helpful signs to label the soda bins at the family reunion. It was a very fun event, and we all enjoyed some refreshing "Sprita". Or how no matter how unbelievably out there of a story my brother and I tell her, she whole-heartedly believes us, each and every time.

After work today she called me and said that my dad really wanted to see that new show that he thought looked pretty funny, but he couldn't remember when it was on. She thought I might know so she proceeded to ask, "Do you know when that Who the Hell is Eddie show comes on?" Sadly, I know my mom so well, that I knew exactly what she meant. I busted out laughing and said, "Well mom, I'm not sure who in the hell Eddie is either, but My Name is Earl is on tonight on NBC." And in keeping with family tradition, I immediately hung up with her and flipped that little phone back open to call my brother and tell him about Eddie. He, of course, laughed uncontrollably then called mom to tease her. She in turn called me back and asked why I just had to call my big brother and tell him what she said. It's our circle of trust, and it keeps us very entertained. Mom knows we love her though.

Regarding Earl; who knows if the episodes past the premiere will be any good, but this first one was good stuff. A few of the one liners from the first episode included: "Patty doesn’t care about muscles. Muscles can’t buy Mad Dog."; and "Towards the end I even pulled out my good boob." I didn't quite figure out if it's the fact that they're stuck in this tiny town and have yet to be exposed to post 90s culture, or if the show is actually set in the 90s, but the 90s references were laugh out loud. I mean any show that gives shout outs to Mad Dog 20/20 and Rob Base in the first episode is alright with me.

In closing ....

"Never underestimate the power of 15 beers, a little enlightenment and MC Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock."

2 comments:

Cardinal70 said...

First of all, great picture. Exactly as I pictured you. ;)

Second, it's always great to have someone to tease, isn't it? And helpful when they make it that easy! :D

Deb said...

Dana-your family sounds a lot like mine. We like to tease and laugh at each other as well. All in good fun of coursse.