Friday, September 09, 2005

Troops, Good Deeds and (More) Football

I just ran across a blog that I used to read fairly often. Actually, Doc in the Box is just one of the many military blogs I used to frequent. I still read them from time to time, but not nearly as often as I once did. If you are not familiar with the life of a military person, especially a deployed military person, I highly recommend reading some milblogs. (Note: Those blogs have been known to contain hefty use of coarse language. Just a warning in case you are offended by such things.) They provide great insight into the everyday lives of the men and women putting their selves out there for us. Whether or not you agree with the the war on terror, these people are heroes and deserve our respect. But I digress. Doc in the Box is a Navy Corpsman, currently stateside, who has been deployed to "the Sand Box" twice. His blog literally has tons of links to other milblogs and military support sites, but what I enjoy most about his blog is his photography. He is an amateur photographer and, when deployed, used his separate photoblog to post pictures so friends and family could catch a glimpse of their Marine. I do not remember how, but I somehow stumbled across his blog on his first deployment and followed his unit all the way through both deployments. The pictures were excellent and showed their lives in a way you will never see on any news program. Anyway, I noticed some military support links on his blog today that interested me, so I though I would share. Support your troops!

Soldier's Angels
List of Support Sites

And while I'm on doing good deeds, if anyone is actually reading this, and has yet to donate, I encourage you to please do something to help the people affected by Hurricane Katrina. It might sound trite, but no gift is too small and every little bit helps. I work in philanthropy and we know that if each person in our constituency pool gave just $10, we would far exceed our monetary goal. Just goes to show that every little bit does count. Do what you can; it's needed.

The Cardinals beat up on the Pond Scum, err, I mean the Mets tonight. Pujols went yard twice and John Gall got his first major league dinger. That was awesome. I've had the pleasure of seeing Gall play in AAA a few times and it's fun to see those guys get a chance to shine for a month on their call up. Been watching the Pats/Raiders game too. Brady is looking as good as expected; 282 yards and two TDs with 9:23 left in 4th quarter. I'd say that's a pretty good start for my fantasy team! And Jimmy Kimmel told me, during the half time show, that Matt Leinart will be on his show tonight. Looks like I'll be staying up and watching Kimmel tonight. :-D

1 comment:

Sean Dustman said...

Thanks for the kind words! Link added in a few minutes:) Yes people do read this, maybe you'll get some more soon.