Thursday, September 08, 2005

Who Does That?

You know how sometimes you forget to bring your lunch, but don't really feel like walking all they way across campus, playing a game of Frogger trying to cross the street, just to get your car parked in that ridiculously small parking lot, so you choose to stay, turn off the light, lock the door and eat in your office? Well that was me today.

I walked over to the campus eatery (no, not the cafeteria; the decent, edible one) to get some lunch and bring it back to my office. I ordered my Parmesan Chicken Wrap, fries and fountain drink to which the little girl behind the counter said, "That will be $4.53". That's fine; it's cheap enough and it's decent, edible food. I hand the little girl my $5 and she returns my change. Awe, but then I added those three fateful litte words, "to go please". Little girl behind the counter's response, "Oh, we're out of to go boxes. We just have the regular paper plates we serve in the dining room. I hope that's okay". Well, you already have my money, I'm hungry and I only have to walk to the building next door with my plate of food, so I guess it's okay.


I waited for my number to be called, picked up my food, carried the plate of uncovered food to my office and proceeded to turn off the lights and lock the door. If only I could leave it like that all day. :)

But I must ask myself, what kind of restaurant, that serves food to go, runs out of to go boxes? I mean it's not like you couldn't see the stack of little styrofoam boxes dwindling. It seems to me that when you see the stack reach a size less than, oh say, 200 or so, you would pick up the phone and order some more little styrofoam boxes. This doesn't just happen in a matter of minutes, it happens over a matter of days! You have the time to see the need for little styrofoam boxes, so order some more!

Who does that?

3 comments:

Cardinal70 said...

I'm with you. Unless there'd been a massive run that day, they should never run out of boxes.

Now turn those lights back on!

BrewCards said...

I hate that too. Campus take out is known for running out of stuff that they never should be without. I take tell you how many times the Falcon's Nest (my campus place) ran out of napkins, or salt, or catsup, or forks. How do run out of freaking forks!

Deb said...

Man, stuff like that send me right over the edge.